Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My thoughts as I begin this

There are so many people here at CTS with blogs, so I thought I'd join in. I'm a 2nd year student at Columbia Theological Seminary, and currently I am learning Greek. I really love it! I must admit that it is eaiser for me than Hebrew by far! This community is changing with new students beginning this summer- and they are wonderful! I'm excited to see how the community will function this fall when we are all back.

I've heard some wonderful sermons here at the CTS chapel this past week. David Bartlett and Chuck Campbell preached two fantastic sermons that remind me of why I am here. I love those moments where I am reminded of my purpose in going to seminary and why I want to serve as a leader in the church. One of the scriptures was 1 Corinthians 14:15 (the name of my blog)- it reminds me that my learning here does serve a greater purpose as I prepare to enter into the ministry- praising with both my spirit and my mind. Also, there needs to be balance- to praise with and enrich my spirit along with my mind. So powerful.

Lately, I've been thinking about the current situation in the Middle East and also the recent developments at General Assembly of PC(USA). What are we all fighting about? I think, deep down, there is this overwhelming sense of fear of the unknown and the other. Fear. It's a very powerful thing. We need to teach young people to not fear "the other" ~ there are more similarities between people than differences when you take the time and effort to get to know people. I'm really scared for the future right now- there are so many people dying, in the way of harm. What is going to happen? I don't know...

I pray for the people in Israel, Syria, Lebanon- ALL PEOPLE in the Middle East and around the world who live in harm's way. Also, prayers for those in our church who are seeking a call, but are being denied for reasons of sexual orientation. Lord, I hope we can move beyond fearing the other.

No comments: