Thursday, August 02, 2007

Power of Presence

I just spent last night on-call here at the hospital. I sat with a woman whose husband is dying. She was having a hard time accepting it, even though her family was telling her the truth along with the doctors & nurses. I held her hand and her husband's hand, told her God will hold him in God's arms. I was kneeling on the floor next to the chair- just holding their hands. What a powerful moment of presence ministry. So intimate. So holy. What an honor it is to be allowed to enter into these kinds of moments with complete strangers.

I am weary. All of the interns are weary. But, it is moments like this one that remind me of God's presence and why I love coming to work in the morning. Thanks be to the God who comforts us in our sufferings and allows us to comfort those who suffer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Erin-
It's so great to read about your experience at CPE. I can hear in your words what a great and growing experience this has been for you.

Life in Arkansas is becoming more normal. I'm even beginning to feel like the "pastor"! Had lunch with Nancy McSpadden the other day... we talked about you :-)

hugs-
Leslie